Monday, October 5, 2009

Sweetly Broken


A water bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on an end of a pole which he carried across his neck. He used these two pots for everything in his house. One day one of the pots formed a crack in it and water slowly began to dribble out of it. As weeks went on the crack leaked more and more but the man still insisted on using it. Finally the pot asked "Master why do you still insist on using me even though I bring so little water back to your home? Why don’t you replace me so you have two perfect pots to always use?" The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of your path, but not on the other pots side? That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I took advantage of it. I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back from the stream, you've watered them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate my masters table. Without you being just the way you are, he would not have this beauty to grace his house." Each of us has our own unique flaws. We're all cracked pots. But if we will allow it, the Lord will use our flaws to grace His Father's table. In Gods great economy, nothing goes to waste. Don't be afraid of your flaws. Acknowledge them, and you too can be the cause of beauty. Know that in your weakness your strength is made. Don’t ever tell yourself I’ve screwed up so bad so there is no chance you could ever be accepted again by God. Never tell yourself that because you have flaws God cant use you to glorify his name. There is only one who was perfect and that was Jesus Christ. All of us have weaknesses but its from our weaknesses that God can really work through us. Though we recognize our limitations, we will not congratulate ourselves and rest at that. Instead, we will turn to God to seek pathways for effectiveness. We must rely on God for our effectiveness rather than simply on our own energy, effort, or talent. Our weakness not only helps develop Christian Character; it also deepens our worship, because in admitting our weakness, we affirm Gods Strength. There is nothing in this world God cannot overcome. I find myself repeating this because it is so true. God knows what’s going to happen tomorrow before you do. Give your worries to God and have faith that he will lift you up.

2 comments:

  1. can you use some scripture to support the thoughts and moral of the story? it's a nice story, however does not connect itself to the bible and Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Moral is that each of us has our own unique flaws and were a cracked pots

    2 Corinthians 12:9 says "And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me". NKJV


    The fact that God's power is displayed in weak people should give us courage. Its the cracks and flaws we each have that makes our lives interesting and rewarding.

    If we then go to 2 Corinthians 12:10 it says "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong".
    NKJV

    When we are strong in our abilities and resources its tempting to do Gods work on our own. God does not intned for us to seek to be passive or weak simply because life provides enough obstacles without us creating them. When those obstacles come we must depend on God. Only his power will make us effective for Him and help us do work that has lasting value.
    I have had the priviledge of being involved with a drug and alocohol mentor group. Many people with many cracks in there lives question how a God who is so perfect could use them for His Glory. Gods ways are not limited to those who cannot be His "perfect pot" because no one is perfect. We all have flaws. Whatever it may be God can still use us in many ways.

    ReplyDelete