Thursday, September 24, 2009

Out of our comfort zone

“The desire for safety stands against every noble human endeavor”


-Tacitus

When is it ever fun or attractive to step out of your comfort zone into something difficult. Isn’t it easier to swim with the current than against it or hike down a mountain, than go up it? What about in Genesis where when God told Abram to Leave his country, notice Genesis 12:1 where it doesn’t say the Lord asked Abram but said “Leave your country, your people and your fathers household and go to the land I will show you . Abram was not briefed or prepared for it ahead of time his faith alone was all he needed. Genesis 12:4 “So Abram left, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him”. God promised to bless Abram and make him great, but God had one condition. Abram had to do what God wanted him to do. This meant leaving his home and friends traveling to a new land where God had promised to build a great Nation from Abram’s family. I’m sure a few of us have watched or know someone who has watched the T.V. show “The apprentice” where roughly 30 people take there shot at working for a well known CEO and an extremely wealthy one at that. But wrap your mind around this one, imagine working for God… who created the heavens, millions of galaxies, the earth, and even life itself and yes he also created Donald Trump. Only this time you don’t have to worry about being fired. Though there will be times of discomfort and times of frustration please remember that by giving your worries and hopes to God he will sustain you. Pray not for a lighter load but stronger shoulders. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 says “ To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” For when we are weak we open up a door that allows God to be our strength, Strength that does not fold or fade away. God may be trying to lead you to a place of greater service and usefulness for him. Don’t let the comfort and security of your present position discourage you from allowing God to work through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment